So, within half a day of posting about our demo online, our servers crash, presumably from traffic. And we are receiving complaints about horrible performance, graphical glitches and poor playability. We are also receiving (mostly) very positive comments, and people posting FOR us on reddit. Thanks, guys!

I'm worried that we didn't give a very good first impression with the build; I must admit that some of the quirks of the game make it look like we might not entirely know what we are doing. It's hard to think clearly of what exactly to do next.

Our plans are, over the next couple weeks to basically do nothing but address the complaints of players and make the game playable with almost anyone's computer. I'll first need to upload a mirror of the game to a file sharing website, and hopefully this will get OUR servers back on their feet.
... Actually scratch that, we are going to just make a torrent. I'll put it here when it's ready:

http://www.starforge.com/StarForge_V0.1.torrent

I'm not sure if this will work, since I've never really created a torrent before. But here goes.
Downloading right now

Update: finished i'll be seeding too
Thank you plenty :)
Also, just to let everyone know. We are familar with the screen turning black after "x" amount of gameplay on certain rigs. Can anyone who gets this issue post your hardware stats? We experienced it on a computer back where we work for a living(we are general labourers) and will fully debug this as soon as we can. Luckily our boss said we can take a day off to try and fix some of the issues.

The game runs fine on our other computers.

We are working hard to configure it so users can change the settings and run it smooth on all hardware.

If it runs great for you, then that's aweseome, I'm sure you'll have tons of fun! :mrgreen:

Thanks for being patient with us. We'll keep everyone updated here. :)
Also, just to let everyone know when you start the demo the screen will for a few minute maybe more or maybe less. This is because we use a procedural texturing tech in the game which generates all the textures through different algorithms.

This allows for the download size of a 1024x1024 texture to be roughly 500-1000 times smaller. When we fully implement this tech you will experience different textures with every play, and the ability to change texture resolution on the fly.

The only downside is that they have to generate upon playing the game, but we will work on finding a way to make this quicker.
wsworin wrote:
Also, just to let everyone know when you start the demo the screen will for a few minute maybe more or maybe less. This is because we use a procedural texturing tech in the game which generates all the textures through different algorithms.

This allows for the download size of a 1024x1024 texture to be roughly 500-1000 times smaller. When we fully implement this tech you will experience different textures with every play, and the ability to change texture resolution on the fly.

The only downside is that they have to generate upon playing the game, but we will work on finding a way to make this quicker.

It is unique and innovative ideas like this that make me think this game will turn out very well.
Thanks. :)

We understand that by trying out all this new tech together some people are having issues with the demo. But it will all work out in the end as we fully debug everything as we keep going. So thanks to everyone for being patience with us.
wsworin wrote:
Also, just to let everyone know. We are familar with the screen turning black after "x" amount of gameplay on certain rigs. Can anyone who gets this issue post your hardware stats? We experienced it on a computer back where we work for a living(we are general labourers) and will fully debug this as soon as we can. Luckily our boss said we can take a day off to try and fix some of the issues.

My friend and I just tried this out; I am thoroughly impressed by this alpha and I hope you continue building this game! Now I do get this black screen you talk about. First time was glitching through a block and the second time was just randomly walking around. My computer specs are posted below to help you out.

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 12288MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
GPU: GTX 560 Ti 2048 MB

Edit: Forgot to add, playing at 1920 x 1080 resolution
wsworin wrote:
Thanks. :)

We understand that by trying out all this new tech together some people are having issues with the demo. But it will all work out in the end as we fully debug everything as we keep going. So thanks to everyone for being patience with us.

You guys have done a great job so far, I will happily await future updates on the progress of the game.

metzgermeister wrote:
My friend and I just tried this out; I am thoroughly impressed by this alpha and I hope you continue building this game! Now I do get this black screen you talk about. First time was glitching through a block and the second time was just randomly walking around. My computer specs are posted below to help you out.

I would suggest making a topic in the bug reports section.
TheUnseenForce wrote:
I would suggest making a topic in the bug reports section.

Ah I didn't see that subsection, my apologies. I will post any bugs from now on in that section as I play.