I love your idea for StarForge, I played v0.1.1...and I faced*facehoof*
1) I cannot stop, it move all time (forward, back, Crouch...etc)
2) When I press 5,6,7,8,9....the item drop immediately. I think you should design this function to see the item first, and it will be dropped when the player press some keys, such as right click the mouse.
3) I cannot get the wood after I chop the tree.
4) I don't know how to mine somethings, or how to choose material to build the building.
5) You may design the game to play easily as same as Minxxxxxx. Easy to get item, easy to build, easy to break, easy to see item lists in hand.
These'are my idea and some problems I faced.
I can assure you that everything you're looking for is only missing because this is version 0.11.
As in this is the -second- release of the game EVER, and its still in early alpha. Most of your concerns have been announced as "things that will be done" by the developer walkthrough, and if not then by their posts on these forums. The movement glitch will be fixed when its fixed, several of the things you're complaining about are already in the game, you just have to look for a minute (check the control guide in the menu, you'll find that blocks can be removed with just a button tap and a click, and then removed much easier than a certain Mojang game.) Wood will be gathered once the game has the ability to -care- about it, as currently you don't even need wood, you can just build forever. For your question about changing what material to build out of, hold the "E" key for a moment, then mouse over the tileset you want (this still doesn't use materials yet). There currently is nothing to mine, as digging was removed from this build so it could be fixed.
Just take into account that this game is both free and VERY early in development. Once things are further along, 99% of your complaints will be null.