- Note: Registration system here is different than this forum, the registration on this page will be used for online modes, stats tracking, and hatch point purchases.
After a few weeks of harrowing work and awesomeness. The update is finally released! We first want to thank X10Hosting and Evolse Limited For hosting it on their servers for free, this is very much appreciated and helps everyone get any update quicker! And we also want to really everyone on these boards for keeping us going last night(70+ pages overnight), many bowed out and went to sleep, others stayed up injecting caffeine into their veins, but the update eventually came out, and everyone following here and on Teamspeak got it early! And then Steve and I collapsed and went to bed.
What is new/fixed in this build.
- Fixed Turrets
- Parkour like movement(automatic jumping up blocks)
- Better performance
- Easier controls
- Improved cube building
- Delete Turrets
- Settings Screen
- Founders Club names listed
- New level
- Other bug fixes
Removed from this build for testing purposes (to get it running on more comps and to help us understand the bugs better)
- Dig Mode; this build contains a non voxel terrain as we currently working on improving it's performance
- Atmosphere Effects; this build doesn't contain the atmosphere effects because of the issues it caused on some computers. We are currently fixing it.
- We hope to have both of the above back in sometime soon in the near future once they are properly tested on more systems.
But now that we've got some sleep and caffeine in us, we threw it up on all our sites. So now that it's released we thought we'd explain our methods for future updating. I think Steve explained it best on Facebook.
Will and I have discussed how we should manage the project and we are significantly revising our strategy from this point forward as far as releases go.
The bad news is it will be a little while longer before you get a "big demo" with all the features of the last one all working together in one release. Also, we cannot promise release dates except in special cases (such as for those who purchased HatchPoints and want something to do with them).
*But don't let this discourage you*:
The good news is we will be releasing smaller demos more rapidly. Since StarForge is made up of fairly complex parts it is difficult to QA and Debug when all of them are working together as a whole and then people tell us it doesn't work right.
We intend to do a divide-and-conquer approach where we break the project down into smaller mini-projects - one for the earth-to-space transitioning, one for the cubes, one for the voxel terrain, one for the physics... one for the in-game browser... and so on. Then combining them together is in itself a sort of project with its own special QA process.
It is much easier to be productive with this kind of focus, it makes everything much more manageable and maintainable, and it's much quicker to produce more stable, efficient, quality content - plus you'll all be the first to try it out. "
- So this update is like our first test of the physics movement and building systems specifically. In a future update you can expect us to do some improved atmosphere shader testing, and then voxel terrain testing both non-infinite and then soon infinite without that 5 minute loading sequence. This way we can test things separately and then put them together in the future again when they are super solid and bug fixed.
We are sorry for having to exclude certain parts for a bit, but we hope you understand it will be worth it to properly polish and get working for everyone as a whole. The first build will always remain up during this time too should you be able to run it.
Let us know what you think of this and our update.